Sanborn Maps     |     home
700 W. Beach   |   600 W. Beach   |   500 W. Beach   |   400 W. Beach   |   300 W Beach   |   200 W. Beach   |   200 W. Beach Cont   |   100 W. Beach   |   100 W. Beach Cont   |   100 E Beach   |   Market Street   |   100 E Beach Cont   |   200 E. Beach   |   200 E. Beach Cont   |   Mexican Gulf   |   Davis Avenue   |   300 E. Beach   |   300 E Beach Cont   |   400 E Beach   |   400 E Beach Cont   |   500 E Beach   |   500 E Beach Cont   |   600 E Beach   |   600 E Beach Cont   |   700 E Beach   |   700 E Beach Cont   |   Row Houses
100 W. Beach


Front Footage and owners from left to right in 1930s
Current Residential addresses to right

Hiern Avenue
64     EA Lang                                                                136
64     Mrs L Desposito                                                   134
63     O. Cavanaugh                                                       130
56     SF Northrop                                                          128
96     Misses Hart (currently Harbour Inn)                 126
96     Mrs JC Liversage                                                 122
96     Fitzpatrick Estate (currently the Blue Rose)     120
----------------------------------------------Demetz Avenue to rear from Second Street

     "The sea-shooting on the nearest islands is fine, ducks, geese, curlew and snipe being found in abundance.  Quail shooting is fair.  Splendid deer and turkey shooting is enjoyed by camping parties."
     "It could be hardly otherwise here, where the soil may laugh up its harvests of luscious fruits and delicious vegetables to the tickling of the hoe, and the sea gives up its miraculous Galilean profusion of fishes."

Quoting below from "Along the Coast," as written in 1895:
     "The next place visited by us was the famous Crescent Hotel which is known and celebrated allover the country, it was formerly called. the Live Oak House which was its name years ago. This hotel is owned and managed by Mr. William Hart, a young gentleman who took charge. of the house in 1888.
Previous to this time Mr. Hart, who by the way is a New Orleans boy, had been engaged with the Hibernia Insurance Co., for several years and previous to that he was with Adam Thompson & Co., in the sugar business.
     Coming to Pass Christian in 1888, Mr. Hart embarked in the hotel business and bringing youth. energy, enterprise and great managerial ability into the venture he has been successful from the start. Mr. Hart showed the members of Our party over the premises, which is built on the style of the Southern home of anti-bellum times, The Crescent Hotel is situated at the west end of "the Pass" but a few minutes walk from the station and consists of two good sized houses, and several smaller outbuildings. The larger house was built in 1880, and taken altogether the Crescent can accommodate about 50 guests. This estate has a frontage directly on the beach of two hundred feet and runs back for a distance of one and a half miles so that there is plenty of room for the guests of the house to stroll about without once leaving the -rounds. In front, are the wharfs and bath houses for he convenience of the guests and lovers of fishing may enjoy themselves without the trouble of going out in a boat. In the rear is a large farm, acres and acres of sweet scented forest in which those inclined to quiet and solitude may revel to their hearts content, while those of a more jolly and social disposition may enjoy the games on the lawns in front of the house or participate in the dancing or singing which are indulged in almost nightly at this pretty place. Perhaps no higher compliment could be paid the table of the Crescent than to state that everything used in the shape of poultry, eggs, butter, milk, vegetables, fruit, etc., is raised on the farm in the rear of the estate which is run in connection with the hotel. At this house the prices are moderate and special attention and prices are given to families or parties intend to stay the entire season."

Next Page