200 E. Beach Cont
Front Footage and owners from left to right in 1930s
Current Residential addresses to right
(North Side of Beach Avenue)
40 AB Hayden vacant
33 Christovich 233
215 CK Pratt 243
80 Lizana Estate (Current Compas Rose Condos)
80 Abbley (Current Compas Rose Condos)
80 J Nelson (Nelson Hotel) Previous Magnolia Manor burned down 263
80 PC Hancock Bank (Previously Northrops Gen'l Store) 265
80 St Paul’s Club
80 x J Nelson???
80 Hancock Bank ( Previously the "Cheap Shanty" Gen'l Store then became Office Building)
Next, Hayden’s Plumbing Shop where vacant lot is now (xxx) ( Accross the street, was the Al Hooks Beach House) (Now O'Dwyer Realty)
Next, Christovich House behind the weeds (#233)
Next, Saucier, Bidwell, Pratt, Wharton house (Union Quarters,– Now, Hoffman’s (#243)
Next, the Lizana House (which was moved to Second St. -- owned by Rita Ricke, to make room for the Compass Rose Condos)
Next, Abbley’s (now Compass Rose Condo)
Next, Nelson Hotel (#263) (former site of the Magnolia Manor Hotel as shown on Sanborn Map of 1909)
Northrops Department Store building included a Drug Store, Drygoods, Mens Clothing (now #265 - Hancock Bank Building)
The Cheap Shanty and Northrop’s
Following the Civil War, there were several businesses strewn along Front Street which later became known as Beach Avenue and then, U.S. Highway 90 — now, Scenic Drive, or to some, Beach Avenue.
Just across Scenic Drive, on the beach side from Davis Avenue was a large long building. It was built on the beach and extended out on piling almost within wading distance of the incoming waves of the Gulf. It was called the Cheap Shanty and was built in 1876 by A.K. Northrop as a mercantile venture catering to all the area northward of Pass Christian to Hattiesburg, Poplarville, Ellisville, and many other nearby coastal towns and settlements.
Twice yearly, ox teams and wagons pulled by mules came to Pass Christian laden with cotton, chickens, eggs, farm products, and coal, tar, and turpentine from the piney woods. These drivers would make their exchanges and return home with loads of household goods, clothing, groceries, feedstuff, and chewing tobacco.
A good bit of this business was with the Northrop Cheap Shanty. This store came about through the foresight of its founder, Dr. Abner Reubin Knight Northrop, who originally practiced dentistry following his arrival to the coast in 1866. He had come from Louisiana where he learned dentistry and at the time of the War between the States, he organized a Cavalry Company of which he was made Captain. He endured ten bleak years during the Reconstruction following the War. He married Helena Elmer of Biloxi and fostered six sons and two daughters, during which time, they had moved to the Pass in 1872.
Having such great success with the Cheap Shanty, he created a partnership with the Hewes brothers, Newton and Fred and opened a store in Tuscaloosa in meeting the growing challenges. Northrop's Department store in Gulfport became a very fashionable ladies' store which became known during its day as one to the South's finest stores. Following the death of A.K. Northrop, the Cheap Shanty continued to operate and in time was closed and consolidated bringing an end to the Pass location. The Gulfport business was renamed Hewes Brothers.
The Northrop Building
As told by Mrs. Margaret C. Farrell
"The old Northrop's Store was located right where the Hancock Bank building is now — at the corner of Scenic Drive and Davis Avenue. It was a big store, having a grocery store on one side, a drug store, a department store for gents, furniture, and ladies. And offices upstairs and to the rear was the Hancock Bank branch.
Northrop’s was right across from the big Mexican Gulf Hotel which burned down during its remodeling."
Quoting below from "Along the Coast," as written in 1895:
"While riding along the pleasant beach road on our first day at the Pass. the writers were attracted to a bright, sign of "The Sazerac." Now as the Sazerac Saloon of New Orleans is one of the most noted resorts of its kind in the South. it was thought worthwhile to investigate its namesake. The proprietor of this resort for the dispensing of fluid delicacies proved to be Mr. R McIntosh, a gentlemen of large experience in the liquor and cigar trade. He started the saloon in its present location on First street something like five years ago. and says that he has made it his chief aim, to keep his place up to the high standard set for him by the high standard of Handy’s Sazerac on Royal Street, New Orleans. This being the most prominent saloon at "the Pass," Mr. McIntosh of necessity does a land office business and as he is much admired and respected by all who know him: there area few who are touched by envy at his unqualified success. Mr. McIntosh was born in Harrison County, near Handsboro and his first business venture was at Mississippi City where he met with moderate success. His present bar is fitted up in a manner equal to many of the better class of city saloons and it is safe to say that there are few of these resorts even in metropolitan centres, show shelves contain the choice and varied assortment of wines liquors and cordials. that are to be found at the Sazerac. In the rear of his saloon Mr. McIntosh has a large and well stocked store room, where the barrel goods are kept. His cigar trade is something enormous, and altogether he is said to carry a stock of nearly $4,000."