Sanborn Maps     |     home
700 W. Beach   |   600 W. Beach   |   500 W. Beach   |   400 W. Beach   |   300 W Beach   |   200 W. Beach   |   200 W. Beach Cont   |   100 W. Beach   |   100 W. Beach Cont   |   100 E Beach   |   Market Street   |   100 E Beach Cont   |   200 E. Beach   |   200 E. Beach Cont   |   Mexican Gulf   |   Davis Avenue   |   300 E. Beach   |   300 E Beach Cont   |   400 E Beach   |   400 E Beach Cont   |   500 E Beach   |   500 E Beach Cont   |   600 E Beach   |   600 E Beach Cont   |   700 E Beach   |   700 E Beach Cont   |   Row Houses
100 W. Beach Cont


Front Footage and owners from left to right in 1930s
Current Residential addresses shown at right

96     Fitzpatrick Estate (Current Blue Rose)                                                              120
----------------------------------------------(Demetz Avenue extends from Second St)
80     Mrs IL Simpson                                                                                             118
78     Miss E.M. Dale                                                                                              116                                                                                     
42     Mrs JC Liversage                                                                                          110
----------------------------------------------(Clarke Avenue extends from Second St)
75     GP Brandt                                                                                              
50     Mrs Nellie Lang
86     Mrs Nellie Lang
77     Barksdale (Garage shown in black on bottom-right corner) this is the current site of Storage Units
                                                                                                Since Katrina this is vacant lot with green fencing

Market Street

     Barksdale, Ware’s Garage site shown on corner of Market and Beach Blvd.

A Public Market House in 1835
      In 1835, after the death of freed Negro, former slave, Charles Asmard had willed his vast acreage to his heirs, Sheriff John Brill dedicated a 15-foot vertical slice of his own property which ran north-south from the Gulf shores.  The same amount of right-of-way land adjoining his property was appropriated from an heir of Charles Asmard.  The combined right-of-way portions provided a north-south roadway from Bayou Portage to the Gulf in order to allow the Brill's to build a Market Place and allow farmers, sheepmen, and traders a means of accessing the Market House.

Next Page